Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members Rides
Aquila Custom

Posted by floradesign on 14 Jul 2013

in

Viewed 196 times
2500w X 1875h
522282 bytes
ACD Menu
  Main Menu
   Home
   Forums
   Downloads
   ACD Calendar
   ACD Links

Member Gallery
   GV250 Mods
   GV650 Mods
   JP Spyder Mods
   Articles
   Reviews
   The Lounge

The Long Ride
   In Memorium

Qwik Links
   Hyosung Korea
   Hyosung Aus.
   Hyosung U.S.A.
   Hyosung Canada
   KYMCO Global
   KYMCO U.S.A.
   Royal Enfield
   Royal Enfield U.S.
   Moto Guzzi
   QLINK Motors
   Johnny Pag
   CFMoto (slow)
   CF Moto - US

Friends Of ACD
   Manufacturers
   Dealers
   Helpful Sites

ACD Language Tools
   Espa?ol
   Fran?ais
   Deutsch
   Portugu?s
   Русский язык
Recent Topics
[Today at 09:56:43 PM]

[Today at 08:31:33 PM]

[Today at 05:47:53 PM]

by Nate
[Today at 02:57:03 PM]

[Today at 01:48:27 PM]

by nir
[Today at 01:16:31 PM]

[Today at 01:00:10 PM]

by Jae
[Today at 12:08:26 PM]

[Today at 08:47:11 AM]

by Jae
[Today at 07:40:56 AM]
Member Articles
Article Submission

Translate!
Im Translator, Online translator, spell checker, virtual keyboard, cyrillic decoder
Member Quotes
Well, as a good friend of mine always says, growing older is mandatory, growing up is purely optional. -- gvcruiser
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hyosung GT250R Speedo Problem  (Read 3500 times)
Richard Jordan
ACD Regulars

Motorcycle Parts Distributor

« on: April 11, 2011, 05:19:46 AM »

*** Owner Alert ***

GT250R - Arguably Hyosung's #1 best selling model.

A compatibility issue has been revealed, though no official bulletin has been received yet about this issue.

The latest GT250R Replacement Speedometer Units are NOT compatible with the earlier GT250R models.

The previous models had a Black Speedometer Dial and the replacement units have a White Speedometer Dial. The difference and the problem is not the color - it is the wiring.

Please see the pictures below. Notice the wiring is different on each Speedometer Assembly.

The Kicker: The Black model GT250R Speedometer Assembly is discontinued. You will not be able to replace it. If you see a model in a show room DO NOT BUY IT - you will not be able to replace speedometer.

Hyosung have suggested a solution to this screw up by saying the Speedometer Board or computer part is compatible with the older model Speedometer units but Hyosung have only a few of these - certainly not enough to cover the thousands of bikes on the road.

Also the computer boards are the only part that can be replaced so if an older GT250R has sustained sever front end damage and entire Speedometer Assembly is damaged the bike is a write-off as the Speedometer Assembly can't be replaced.

Whoever designed or ordered or approved the incompatible Speedometer Units might want to lay low for awhile.

* GT250R Old Speedometer Assembly c.JPG (29.12 KB, 467x350 - viewed 203 times.)

* GT250R Old Speedometer back view c.jpg (121.66 KB, 600x450 - viewed 224 times.)

* GT250R New Replacement Speedometer c.jpg (112.62 KB, 600x450 - viewed 213 times.)

* GT250R New Replacement Speedometer back view c.jpg (113.98 KB, 600x450 - viewed 230 times.)
Richard Jordan
ACD Regulars

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:22:49 AM »

Replacement Speedo Board - not sufficient quantities to cover all bikes on the road.

* GT250R Replacement Speedometer Digital Board d.jpg (119.96 KB, 500x669 - viewed 214 times.)
ACD_Bill
Administrator

Winged Member of the HS Club.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:59 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Richard!

Richard Jordan
ACD Regulars

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »

Side note:

I got an SOS message from some US Air Force members in Kunsan saying. "Help - we can't fix our bikes - GT650s". It is no breach of security (OPSEC) to say that the US have been on intensive excercises recently due to many events in Korea in the last year. These guys are BUSY and don't have much free time.

A bunch of guys there have GT650s - while other military members are buying Japanese and Harley bikes these guys got into the Korean spirit and bought Hyosung and made a little Hyosung club there.

However, they need to replace several GT650 Analogue Speedometer units on their bikes and they keep hitting brick walls everytime they try.

They gave me a call and I drove my GT250 down there last week - 4 1/2 hour drive each way - stayed overnight. I went everywhere and nobody could get replacements for these guys. Even Hyosung HQ in Chang Won can't get parts for these guys.

When I told the guys this they were understandably pissed. They asked how the Koreans would feel if they grounded all their aircraft that protect South Korea and then explained to the Koreans that they can't protect them because they can't get the parts to repair their planes.

Anyway, I'm still looking for parts for them, probably have to be used. These guys are run ragged with all their drills and when they do get a day off after working 10 days straight a nice bike ride would be nice - their thoughts were good supporting Korea and buying a Korean bike - now it would be nice if the Koreans (S&T Motors) recognized their effort and actually got some parts for these dedicated people.

Not sure of the future of this Hyosung club - moral is low in the club at the moment. They feel really let down.

On a positive note my GT250 was a champ on the ride down and back and I've never been to that part of Korea before. And I have stockpiled parts for my bike for the day Hyosung disown my bike as one of their products.
Jae
Administrator

Top Box Mafia Defector

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 07:09:32 AM »

Richard,

Would swapping boards not be as simple as repinning the connector? Are the actual signal inputs different, or just the layout of the pins on the connector?

While not a direct swap, I can't believe they'd be completely incompatible, but then again I guess I need to consider the company we're talking about here.
Richard Jordan
ACD Regulars

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »

They say that the boards are a straight swap but this is not something that the customers should be worried about. S&T Motors are responsible for this situation so they are responsible for resolving it. The customer is just supposed to purchase and enjoy the product.

The manufacturer is responsible for quality, consistency and continuity of the product.
Richard Jordan
ACD Regulars

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »

Just got a couple emails about discontinued parts:

Hi Richard,

Is it normal for Korean vehicle companies to discontinue parts on vehicles only a few years old? I have a 5 year old Hyundai, should I be worried?

No, it is very unusual. In fact I only know one company that would do it - S&T Motors. You can bet that whoever is deciding to discontinue parts on vehicles less that 10 years old at S&T Motors would be very angry if Hyundai or Kia for example tried to do the same to their vehicles as they are doing to their customers vehicles. It would be a scandal if a car company tried that here and would be all over the news.

You can have confidence in your Korean made car - not so sure about your motorcycle. Perhaps contact S&T Motors and try to get some reassurance from them - in writing if possible.

Regards,

Richard Jordan
John Luciano
ACD Regulars

1997 DFT CF Moto V3, 500 Honda shadow, 2008 J PAG

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »

I have  been  thinking  about it  also.  they are  only  digital  read outs .  now  if  the  sensors  are  totally out of  wrack  then this  will not , work BUT if  the  brain of  the  speedometer is in the  head then I agree Looks  like t the  color  code is even the  same .  If  the  company  could just make  an adapter i bet the  2 would be interchangeable 

Ride like you  stole it and don't look back
KDOGNVA

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »

Solution to speedometer problem:

Jumper wire from ORANGE wire to RED wire..    Huh

I too bought a new speedometer for my 2007 GTR250, and was surprised that the rpm and digital didnt work, I quickly reviewed the wiring specs and found this to be the fix for the new speedo to work on older models... I have pics of the jump and it working, can post if needed.. Also if you have no electrical skills I can do the fix if you are willing to ship the speedo to me and pay me something for the effort?
Icedog
Discussion Moderator

"Tasted Important"..."I'm BATDOG"

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

Solution to speedometer problem:

Jumper wire from ORANGE wire to RED wire..    Huh

I too bought a new speedometer for my 2007 GTR250, and was surprised that the rpm and digital didnt work, I quickly reviewed the wiring specs and found this to be the fix for the new speedo to work on older models... I have pics of the jump and it working, can post if needed.. Also if you have no electrical skills I can do the fix if you are willing to ship the speedo to me and pay me something for the effort?

Welcome to ACD KDOGNVA, by all means post what you have, it sounds like some people might be looking for your solution - if its as easy a fix as you say then there may be some easily recovered "writeoffs"  Grin

"Every boy should have two things: a dog and a mother willing to let him have one" - Robert Benchley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

The views expressed by individuals are the views of those individuals only and do not represent those of the Owner or Staff of AlternativeCruisers.com. All original content copyright AlternativeCruisers.com 2005-2011.